Welcome to Summer Camp!
SET THE DATE:
June 29, 2013
Silver Lake, Maine
PLAN TO ATTEND:
6th annual Sgt. Joel A. House Summer Camp Fund
Public Barbecue & Beach Day
Hot Dogs & Hamburgers
Lots of salads & sides
Return of "Mini-camp"--craft projects for you & your kids
Swimming & games
Over 25 great prizes to be drawn
COME OUT RAIN OR SHINE
to help send over 50 Maine summer campers to their favorite summer camp.
APPLICATIONS ARE BEING ACCEPTED FOR SUMMER CAMP SCHOLARSHIPS 2013.
DEADLINE IS MAY 30 FOR 1st CONSIDERATION
AFTERWARDS WE HAVE A ROLLING ACCEPTANCE UNTIL JUNE 29 AS FUNDS MAY BECOME AVAILABLE.
These pages are dedicated to the memory of our hero, Sgt. Joel A. House
, who was killed in 2007 while serving in the U.S. Army by a roadside bomb in Taji, Iraq. Joel was known for his guitar playing, his understated sense of humor, and his fierce commitment to his family and friends. We--his family and friends--miss him so much but we are so proud of him. This scholarship program is our way of honoring Joel's life and his ultimate sacrifice.
this website you can find information about the scholarship established in Joel''s name to help boys and girls attend a summer camp program of their choice. You can download a scholarship application here
or find out about some great summer camps
which are excited to meet you. We are always doing fund-raising
, so you can find out how you can get involved with this program to help children reach their dreams. You can also find out about Joel's life
in Lee, Maine and in the U.S. Army. Please enjoy and we look forward to hearing from you soon.
Join us on FaceBook:
Join our Cause on FaceBook
Helping Maine kids reach their dreams:
- The idea simple: Let Maine children and their families choose a Maine summer camp program would benefit them the most and our scholarship program will help ease the financial burden and make attending a reality.
- Through a growing grassroots effort, individuals, businesses, churches, civic groups, and clubs raise money to help fund applicant's needs. In our first six years, 2008-2012, we have helped send over 150 kids to a dozen different summer camps. This year, we are anticipating more applications and are gearing up to meet that need.
- Maine families with school-aged children should research and decide which Maine summer camp they want to attend, then apply to that camp and our scholarship program. Our 2013 deadline is May 30.
- Scholarship awards are made based on the quality and completeness of the camper's application which includes the thoughtfulness of the essay topic.
- Groups who want to get involved can do any kind of fund-raising that makes sense: bake sales, yard sales, pledge drives. Last year, Joel's family and friends ran a "Super Raffle" which included over 20 prizes donated by area businesses.
JOIN us for a
Saturday, June 29, 2013
Lots of prizes
FOOD! FOOD! FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!
Thank you for visiting and please keep our soldiers and veterans in your